An issue with faulty wiring is one of the biggest causes of accidental fires in Jackson, Mississippi, homes. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fire departments respond to approximately 25,900 home fires each year caused by electrical failures. There are a number of signs homeowners should look for to stay safe and prevent a catastrophe. Here’s when you should rewire your home:
Flickering or Dimming
Many homeowners chalk flickering or dimming lights to home power outages. But this irritating issue can actually point to an overloaded circuit. Circuits only support a certain amount of devices or utilities. An overloaded circuit can easily blow, leading to dangerous conditions.
This can also signal a loose circuit, which is less dangerous but still undesirable. A professional should check both conditions promptly.
If you notice a persistent burning smell in your home, track down the source as quickly as possible. While this could be something as innocuous as a small piece of food left behind in your oven, it could also point to an electrical short. If you can’t locate where the smell is coming from, turn off the circuit and call an electrician. The break could be in your wall, which is extremely dangerous.
Discolored wall plates, wire or cords are another clear indication of a short. Oftentimes they’re accompanied by a smell, but many times you won’t notice until it’s too late.
Wiring mistakes or older appliances can cause shorts. And shorts can cause overheating or melting, which can result in fires.
If you notice discoloration, stop using the discolored item immediately. Unplug anything in the outlet or stop using the discolored appliance.
Concerned that you may have faulty wiring and interested in getting your home rewired? Give Dent Air Conditioning a call today at 601-912-0535 to set up an appointment.
Image provided by Shutterstock